Skip to main content

Staying Focused When the End of the Year is Fast Approaching


 Teacher & Student Burnout, Longer Days/Shorter Nights, Spring Sports, insert "...", yes there are many things we teachers face to keep the students focused on learning till the end of the school year.  Heck, I personally struggle especially when I turn my desktop calendar page to May and see the
  "LAST DAY OF SCHOOL" 
in the date square. You'd be lying to yourself if you didn't start your own internal countdown clock. As a tech teacher I can even insert a countdown clock right into this post.

But this post is about staying focused till that last day. I like breaking my final 9 weeks down into segments, have the students focus on giving back to their community with project based learning, and doing lessons that carryover to the summer into next year. 



Learning
never
stops!
(Click to tweet) 



#1 Segments: I know every year that I have Spring Break the 4th quarter, the BIG test week of which I am both a proctor and still teach limited classes, and the 8th grade gets done earlier so their lessons are shortened. Mix in a field day a parish wide fundraiser and #1 is done.

#2 PBL Community Service Project: In the 5th grade we learn how to set Google Slides up for storybook/e-book creating. I have provided links at the end of this post to the Google Trainers I utilized to teach these lessons and YouTube videos I watched. I work with the 5th grade teachers on this project because we actually print these books and then the students make a shoe box gift for a foster child who is in The CALL program
No waiting children in foster care in Arkansas
This collaborative project teaches the students that Slides is not just for presentations. We go BEYOND our classroom walls by informing the students about foster kids currently awaiting adoption in central Arkansas. This project keeps them focused for both me and their classroom teachers as the last weeks of school start happening. Plus, creating a small shoe box gift to accompany the newly created storybook is a great inexpensive way to give something of themselves to this program.


#3 Lesson Carryover: In Jr. High I love introducing students to the wonder of stop motion with Google Slides (Look below for the links!) and a coding language moving beyond blocks. I do this because these kids then have the opportunity to carryover what they are learning in class by attending summer camps and/or enrolling in online learning to go deeper than what I can do in class. Some of these kids know what and have done stop motion with their cameras by moving Lego toys for example but most of them have never done online animation. My hopes are that some will explore future careers in this area. In the meantime it's something fun to do to keep them focused till exams. This year I'm going BEYOND my classroom walls and posting to another blog their finished projects. To make the blog, they have to follow the guidelines for being published and produce quality work. 7th Stop Motion Projects is its name. You are invited to leave a TAG comment. The final nine weeks with 8th grade I utilize Code.org's CS Discoveries Animation and Games unit which introduces the students to the coding language JavaScript. 
This is a free curriculum that has lesson plans for me and ease of use for the kids since not all kids love coding but I want all kids to experience coding. These topics, like I said, carryover to summer camps and online learning which I have placed links below for my area, but you can do a search for your college and tech companies in your area. 

Remember the struggle will always be real but keep yourself focused by breaking the nine weeks down into manageable segments. Try out project based learning with your kids that also involves a community service project keeps the kids focused and teaches how we should help others. Finally, do lessons that carryover into summer so the kids keep learning and growing. 


See you next post. ~Paula  



Sources for e-book Slides Lessons
Eric Curts Google Slides for Student Created Storybooks
Kasey Bell How to Create an eBook with Google Slides
YouTube Playlist: https://goo.gl/rGXR8f

Sources for Stop Motion Slides Lessons
Eric Curts Stop Motion Animation with Google Slides
Jake Miller Tips for Creating Stop-Motion Slides
YouTube Playlist: https://goo.gl/iywh8x

Summer Camps and Online Coding

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technology is NOT a Solution

  "Technology is NOT a Solution."   As a technology teacher reading this chapter title in the TOC the first time in Kasey Bell's new book Shake Up Learning: Practical Ideas to Move Learning from Static to Dynamic I will admit she had me not scared but hooked. Where was she going with this topic since I know she is not only a Google Trainer but also a Google Innovator? She has to train yearly on Google products just like I do to keep her trainer status. Google products are technology. Heck! Her whole blog shakeuplearning.com is practically about how teachers can become Google Certified Educators and Trainers just like her. Why was she doing a 180 in her book and saying technology is not a solution? Finding out the WHY is the main reason that I jumped at the chance to read her book before it got published. I just had to know the answer to my WHY.  Kasey has built a website around her new book at  shakeuplearningbook.com . I encourage everyone to go grab the FREE Quick

The FIVE Fingers Post

As a teacher I tell my students to use the five fingers approach to prove if a website is credible to use as a source in their writing. So here is my five fingers introduction to the I Teach Tech Daily Blog. I credit this PDF  from the writing center at Appalachian State University for this year's lessons.  WHO : My name is Paula Frank, even though I just recently became a Google Trainer (December 2017), I have been teaching technology to students for 13+ years as the Business Education Technology Teacher in my PK-8 school and 20+ years training adults. I was a corporate trainer before I went into education. Besides being a Google Trainer, I am a Google Certified Educator Level I and II. I have a Masters degree in Teaching with Business Education 4-12, Math 4-8, Social Studies 4-8, and Science 4-8 certifications. My undergrad is a BBA-General Business and along the way I became a Microsoft Master Trainer and other tech licenses or credentials.  WHAT : I teach tech daily is m