Skip to main content

The FIVE Fingers Post

As a teacher I tell my students to use the five fingers approach to prove if a website is credible to use as a source in their writing. So here is my five fingers introduction to the I Teach Tech Daily Blog. I credit this PDF from the writing center at Appalachian State University for this year's lessons. 
WHO: My name is Paula Frank, even though I just recently became a Google Trainer (December 2017), I have been teaching technology to students for 13+ years as the Business Education Technology Teacher in my PK-8 school and 20+ years training adults. I was a corporate trainer before I went into education. Besides being a Google Trainer, I am a Google Certified Educator Level I and II. I have a Masters degree in Teaching with Business Education 4-12, Math 4-8, Social Studies 4-8, and Science 4-8 certifications. My undergrad is a BBA-General Business and along the way I became a Microsoft Master Trainer and other tech licenses or credentials. 

WHAT: I teach tech daily is my motto because it not only is my job but it is my passion. My dad wanted me to be a computer programmer like him, but I wanted to out among the people teaching them what somebody hiding in an office had created. I understand code just don't want to do it full time. I want to explain it to the "common man" as they say.


WHY: My answer to this one is "Do what you love!" I love tech and how it changes constantly. It keeps me on my toes and allows me to teach new things every year to my students and adults. 


WHEN: I have been around some type of computer my whole life. I remember seeing the government one in my dad's office building that took up the whole room. You programmed it with 80-column punch cards. He went to magnetic reels to run programs and retired soon after the internet launched with AOL for residential use. I teach tech any chance I get. 
Punched card from a Fortran program: Z(1) = Y + W(1) source: https://goo.gl/HHpqjW
HOW: The purpose of this blog is going to center around teaching tech for use on chromebooks since this is what my school uses and I personally use. I want to help teachers, parents, students, and anyone curious about what these inexpensive but powerful devices can do and most of the time for free. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technology is NOT a Solution

  "Technology is NOT a Solution."   As a technology teacher reading this chapter title in the TOC the first time in Kasey Bell's new book Shake Up Learning: Practical Ideas to Move Learning from Static to Dynamic I will admit she had me not scared but hooked. Where was she going with this topic since I know she is not only a Google Trainer but also a Google Innovator? She has to train yearly on Google products just like I do to keep her trainer status. Google products are technology. Heck! Her whole blog shakeuplearning.com is practically about how teachers can become Google Certified Educators and Trainers just like her. Why was she doing a 180 in her book and saying technology is not a solution? Finding out the WHY is the main reason that I jumped at the chance to read her book before it got published. I just had to know the answer to my WHY.  Kasey has built a website around her new book at  shakeuplearningbook.com . I encourage everyone to go grab the FREE Quick

Staying Focused When the End of the Year is Fast Approaching

  Teacher & Student Burnout, Longer Days/Shorter Nights, Spring Sports, insert "...", yes there are many things we teachers face to keep the students focused on learning till the end of the school year.  Heck, I personally struggle especially when I turn my desktop calendar page to May and see the    "LAST DAY OF SCHOOL"   in the date square. You'd be lying to yourself if you didn't start your own internal countdown clock. As a tech teacher I can even insert a countdown clock right into this post. But this post is about staying focused till that last day. I like breaking my final 9 weeks down into segments, have the students focus on giving back to their community with project based learning, and doing lessons that carryover to the summer into next year.  Learning never stops! ( Click to tweet )   #1 Segments: I know every year that I have Spring Break the 4th quarter, the BIG test week of which I am both a proctor and still t